Friday, March 9, 2012

Subbing

I'm currently subbing for my friend and computer teacher Mr. Armstrong so thought I'd take the time to do a little blogging with the students!


The introduction of the Common Core standards in Mathematics (2014) promises to be a great thing for teaching (and coaching too!). With CC, students will be asked not just the ins and outs of performance standards, but be asked to perform, communicate and explain what they know and why they know it. It won't be much different content-wise than what is currently required, but simply arranged in a different way. For example, instead of just having students know how to graph a linear function (any function with only one variable/exponent, such as y=2x), students will have to be able to show they know multiple forms of the same thing - so they need to be able to show they know how to get y=2x from Standard Form, Graph it, and show it in slope-intercept form as well (y=mx+b).

This year that I've had at Computech mostly away from swim and water polo coaching has been really good for me professionally to be able to focus a little more on the mathematics development that at times, I've left lacking. In addition, being able to focus on my Masters Degree with more rigor has helped me maintain a 4.0 in all classes thus far! (only a year left!)

No comments: